A complete application must include:
- a cover letter
- a résumé
- copies of all law school and post-secondary transcripts (photocopies are acceptable)
- a list of upper-year law school courses
All applications are acknowledged upon receipt. We receive and review applications and interview candidates in accordance with the guidelines, rules and deadlines established by the Law Society of Upper Canada. Applications that are not complete by the deadlines indicated below will not be considered.
For first-year candidates and articling students we conduct only in-Firm interviews.
We conduct on-campus interviews with second-year candidates at all Ontario schools, McGill Law School and Dalhousie Law School; we then invite select candidates to in-Firm interviews. For all other law schools, we review applications and invite eligible candidates to BLG Toronto for an interview.
We will contact only students selected for in-Firm interviews. For first-year candidates, we conduct first interviews on the Tuesday of our interview week starting at 8 a.m. For second-year and articling candidates, we conduct first interviews on the Monday of our interview week starting at 8 a.m. You should allow two hours for your initial BLG interview.
If by the day before Call Day you have received no communication from us with respect to in-Firm interviews, we invite you to contact Angela Sordi, Director, Professional Recruiting.
Second-year Summer Positions
We will be recruiting for 2L summer positions for 2021. The following dates and deadlines apply:
Application Deadline - 5 p.m. on Monday, August 17, 2020.
Call Day - 8 a.m. on Friday, October 23, 2020.
First Interviews - Monday, November 2, 2020.
In the Fall of 2020, the Toronto office will be conducting on campus interviews at all the Ontario law schools, McGill University and Dalhousie University. If we are conducting on campus interviews at your law school, we will communicate directly with your Career Development office to let them know with whom we would like to meet on campus. Our offer of an on campus interview will not be communicated directly to students. Following the on campus interviews, you will receive an e-mail from us indicating whether we will be offering you an in-firm interview. For students attending law schools where we do not conduct on campus interviews, we will notify you, by letter or e-mail, as to whether we will be in a position to interview you in Toronto, prior to call day.
Application and Interview Tips
Make your application and interview stand out:
- Proofread every document. Ask a friend to double-check.
- Keep your cover letter brief: in one page, explain why you’re interested in BLG Toronto and why BLG should be interested in you.
- Remember: everything in your application package is open for discussion in an interview. Be prepared to tell us your story.
- Think ahead about questions you might be asked and practice answering them.
- Try to relax: interviewers want to meet the real you.
- Do your homework: talk to lawyers, current students, colleagues and professors and read up on the Firm.
Visit your law school career development office for more preparation advice.