A complete application must include:
- a cover letter
- a résumé
- copies of all law school and post-secondary transcripts (photocopies are acceptable)
References and writing samples are welcome but not mandatory.
All applications are acknowledged upon receipt. We receive and review applications and interview candidates in accordance with the guidelines and rules established by the Law Society of Alberta.
We will contact those students who are selected for interviews. We will conduct on-campus interviews with second-year students in Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Toronto and Halifax. We will conduct interviews with students from other schools via Skype or in Calgary. Please contact your law school career services office for OCI dates and application deadlines.
We look forward to receiving applications for 1L summer positions for 2017 through the viLaw Portal starting January 22, 2018.
The 2L summer positions for 2019 will begin in the Fall, check with your law school career office for application deadlines.
We have filled all articling positions for 2018/2019. We will be recruiting for 2019/2020 articling positions, check with your law school career office for the application deadline.
Application and Interview Tips
Make your application and interview stand out:
- Proofread every document. Ask a friend to double-check.
- Keep your cover letter brief: in one page, explain why you’re interested in BLG Calgary and why BLG should be interested in you.
- Remember: everything in your application package is open for discussion in an interview. Be prepared to tell us your story.
- Think ahead about questions you might be asked and practice answering them.
- Try to relax: interviewers want to meet the real you.
- Do your homework: talk to staff, current students, colleagues and professors and read up on the Firm.
Visit your law school career development office for more preparation advice.