Rose Kottis is a senior trusts, wills and estates law clerk, and has been a member of the Wealth Management Group in the Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP since 2004.
Rose has extensive experience assisting executors and trustees in fulfilling their responsibilities and duties. Her primary responsibilities include providing support to the lawyers in the practice group, the day-to-day administration and management of estates and trusts from the falling in of the estate or trust through to the wind-up, including settlement and distribution of estate and trust assets. Rose also provides day-to-day support to attorneys under continuing powers of attorney and court-ordered guardians of property who are administering the property of mentally incapable persons. She actively participates in the ongoing training and supervision of junior clerks in the department and other offices.
Rose’s responsibilities include:
- determining and gathering estate assets and preparing a list of assets of the deceased person;
- preparing applications to probate wills, including resealing foreign grants of authority;
- corresponding with financial institutions and insurance companies;
- preparing guardianship applications and assisting attorneys for property in maintaining proper records and related matters;
- preparing necessary documents to transfer estate assets and make distributions to beneficiaries;
- preparing estate and trust accounts in court passing format and related applications;
- preparing court documents for passing of accounts both contested and uncontested;
- analyzing estate accounts for contested passing of accounts, including calculation of executor’s compensation;
- supporting estate litigators on contentious passing of accounts; and
- ensuring that executors and trustees comply with tax filing and withholding rules on distributions to foreign beneficiaries.
In 2012, Rose received Honors in the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario Estate Accounting Fellowship course and also received an Ontario Volunteer Service Award. In addition, Rose received the David Boakes Award of Academic Achievement in Estates Law in 2004 and in 2015 received designation as a Certified Expert in Estates Law by the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario.