Colleen Bell has been a law clerk since 1989. She joined the Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP in 1998, and is a member of the Commercial Litigation Group. Colleen focuses on commercial litigation and enforcement.
Colleen assists lawyers in the Commercial Litigation Group with:
- drafting pleadings;
- preparing files for examinations for discovery including preparation of discovery plans and affidavits of documents;
- drafting lists of undertakings, advisements and refusals, and liaising with discovery witnesses to answer undertakings and to review and organize answers;
- drafting various motions, supporting affidavits and cost outlines for hearings;
- preparing files for mediation including preparation, review and organization of documents, memoranda and scheduling of witnesses;
- preparing materials for appeal hearings including appeal books and compendia;
- preparing files for trial including scheduling issues, liasing with counsel and court, communications with experts, summoning and preparing witnesses, preparing certification and pre-trial memoranda, notices, documents and issue briefs and trial preparation;
- obtaining and enforcing judgments, including preparing and filing writs of seizure and sale, garnishment, examination in aid of execution, seizure of assets, and sale of personal property;
- overseeing and managing large, complex, technologically dependent commercial litigation files; and
- liaising with clients, counsel and courts.
With over 20 years of experience, Colleen has extensive knowledge in these areas.