STARTUP&GROW™ Service Offerings
BLG is a leading, national full-service Canadian law firm and one of the country’s largest law firms with more than 700 lawyers, intellectual property agents and other professionals in five cities across Canada. BLG’s STARTUP&GROW™ program draws on this incredible depth of expertise to provide practical legal solutions across all areas of law critical to the success of entrepreneurs, startups and and early-stage companies.
Our flexible legal solutions are designed to provide your business with a strong foundation for growth. We routinely assist entrepreneurs, startups, early-stage, and growth-stage companies with:
- Structuring, establishing and organizing a corporation, partnership, or other business structure
- Negotiating and preparing Shareholders Agreements
- Drafting Joint Venture, Partnership, and related agreements
- Corporate governance issues
- Corporate reorganizations
- Provincial and federal business regulatory requirements, such as compliance with privacy, anti-spam, and consumer protection laws
- Share and asset acquisitions, mergers, amalgamations, and divestitures
We can provide you with the advice you need to fund your business, while protecting your investment, at every stage of your business’ growth, from structuring your initial founder shares, through to your public listing or exit. We routinely advise early-stage and growth-stage companies with:
- Allocating founders shares fairly and appropriately
- Structuring your pre-series A investments with founders, friends, family, and angels
- Negotiating term sheets, preferred share rights, shareholders agreements, and subscription agreements for each round of financing with sophisticated investors
- Financing alternatives, such as crowdfunding
- Accessing government grants, venture capital credits, and other sources of non-dilutive financing
BLG boasts one of the strongest Intellectual Property groups in the country, and our Intellectual Property professionals provide advice on the development, protection, exploitation and use of intellectual property and information technology. We routinely assist entrepreneurs, startups, early-stage, and growth-stage companies with:
- Preparing, filing, and prosecuting patent applications
- Registering and renewing trademarks: researching availability and registrability, and assisting in selection
- Managing intellectual property rights and global portfolio development
- Researching and registering domain names and industrial designs
- Performing due diligence regarding patentability, infringement, and freedom- to-operate
- IP licensing and the commercialization of technology
- Resolving disputes involving patent, trademark and copyright infringement
Labour and Employment
BLG has a national, full service labour and employment practice offering a complete suite of services ranging from the legal impacts of proposed workplace changes to labour and employment disputes. We routinely assist entrepreneurs, startups, early-stage, and growth-stage companies with:
- Compensation agreements, stock option agreements, and bonus plans
- Pension and benefits, self-insured benefits, sick leave, short term disability, non-insured benefits, paid leave and employee perquisites
- Drafting and the interpretation of employment and consultant agreements
- Hours of work, overtime pay, public holidays, paid vacation, emergency leave, termination/severance pay, and pregnancy/parental leave
- Policies governing employee use of social media and company computer resources
- Wrongful dismissal, constructive dismissal, just cause, temporary lay-offs and severance packages
Our seasoned tax professionals can provide you with advice and assistance in domestic and international transactions. We offer specialized services in corporate tax and estate planning, and advise clients with domestic and international transactions. We routinely assist entrepreneurs, startups, early-stage and growth-stage companies with:
- Income tax and commodity tax registrations
- Accessing scientific research and experimental development tax credits
- International tax planning and structuring
- Inbound and outbound cross-border taxation issues
- Tax efficient holding structures for principals and their families
- Equity-based compensation plans
Board and Senior Management Advice
We offer specialized expertise in a wide range of emerging industries, including:
- Cleantech and Greentech
- Biotech and Life Sciences
- Health Law
- Privacy Law
- Cyber Risk and Cybersecurity
Flexible Legal Arrangements
BLG offers flexible legal arrangements, direct guidance and support to ensure that you get the advice you need at every stage of your business' growth. We also offer a startup package to make starting a company as quick and painless as possible from the outset.
STARTUP&GROW™ Legal Package
Our "STARTUP&GROW™" Legal Package provides the following documents for a set fee:
- Incorporation and organization company documents
- Shareholders agreement
- Intellectual property assignment agreement
- Employment/consulting agreement
- Preparation and filing of one trademark application
- Confidentiality/non-disclosure agreement
- Strategy discussions
BLG is a strong supporter of the vibrant, sustainable startup community here in Vancouver and across Canada. We host a wide range of networking and panel discussion events in our offices, and support the community through partnerships with numerous organizations helping to propel innovative startups and entrepreneurs to the next level. We also offer introductions to our network of investors, venture capitalists, government financial advisors, and consultants. Sign up above to receive invitations to our events and to stay informed.
Startup Seminar Series
BLG’s Startup Seminar Series has been designed to provide you with the foundational legal guidance that we would provide to any startup or early stage company, broken up into eight informal and interactive sessions. Each session will give you the opportunity to ask questions specific to your venture, and a chance to network with other entrepreneurs and venture capitalists working in the space.
View the complete schedule here.
Michael J. Damiani
Michael T. Waters
Douglas G. Copland
Geoffrey de Kleine
Bradley J. Freedman
When it came time for Hydra to sign definitive agreements with our partners, we went looking for a firm that not only had experience but one that would also be flexible and willing to work with a start-up like our own that moves fast and understands technology. BLG connected us with internal leaders who helped craft first of their kind hydrogen agreements, which enabled us to move forward with our partners. Hydra is grateful for the support BLG has provided and would highly recommend them to any start-up looking for responsive, insightful expertise.
Co-found & CEO, Hydra Energy
BLG is a strong promoter of Vancouver’s vibrant startup ecosystem through its support of a number of initiatives in the community, including its long-standing support of TNT, an event series that brings together a diverse group of entrepreneurs, investors, and ecosystem players to cross-pollinate ideas and catalyze activities and relationships within the startup ecosystem. Through its support of this initiative and others, BLG has demonstrated its commitment to serving the needs of entrepreneurs and partners in the startup ecosystem, and meeting the unmet needs of early stage startups.
Success in any form of technology requires a world vision and a laser focused solution that is both disruptive and creative. I see this in BLG and the answers they deliver to their clients.
CEO, Mark Betteridge & Associates (MBA) Inc.